When you go to other places or countries, you cannot bring your own car. So, you must think about renting a car. Renting a car is always possible because there are so many car rental services available wherever you stay. It must be fun to drive a car to spend your vacation overseas. Somehow, renting a car always has some hidden risks. There are a few things that you consider before you rent a car. Make sure than the car is having an Auto Insurance. Read these following hidden risks in rental cars.
The Hidden Risks When Renting a Car
Most of today’s cars available for rent use modern technology to the supports the infotainment system. In this case, you can connect your smartphone to the infotainment system of the car to play music, make a phone call, watch videos, and much more. In fact, it is actually not safe because somebody may want to steal your device data or personal information when you sync your mobile device to a rental car. There is a real possibility that somebody can access your personal data such as a password, home address, your house garage door, and much more. Not only that, you may not realize that somebody is stealing your home phone number, personal contact, call and message logs, and GPS location.
The Solution for Safely Renting a Car
What is the best solution to rent a car safely? Somehow, it is not a bad idea to rent a car because you really need it. But, if you still have a chance to avoid data theft, you may try to consider these following things.
- If you realize that you are afraid of losing your data, it will be fine if you do not connect your device to the infotainment system of the car. But, you will get no music while riding or no entertainment.
- You can use the available entertainment system provided because of some of the cars that you rent provide MP3 disk, DVD, and even flash drive.
- Suppose you still want to connect your device to the car system, make sure that you do not have important data in your phone.
- If you want to charge your device, it is better to use your own phone charger adapter that you can plug into the port rather than plugging the USB cable directly to the USB port available.
- Don’t use your GPS system or navigation system while you are connecting it to the car. Disconnect your device if you want to use the navigation system using your phone.
- Don’t forget to check the device permission and you must choose the information that you may want to share. If you just want to listen to music, you can just give permission to the music library.
- After you rent a car and you return the car to the owner, then you have to check the setting menu and make sure that it is not connected to the car and delete the sync device from the list.
Finally, that’s all about the hidden risks in rental cars and how to solve this problem effectively. Somehow, you still safely connect your device to the car as long as you pay attention to several security matters. If it is possible, you do not need to connect or sync your device to the car to avoid data theft.